29 January 2009

Honesty

I always complain that women in the LDS Church do not communicate their true feelings. I feel like a lot goes unsaid, and a lot of women silently suffer because they feel that they should be acting a certain way. It is ironic that I am one of those women. I tend to bottle up my feelings and put on a brave face for others around me, most of the time. I let my true feelings show to a certain few people. And to those people, I apologize, because when I need to vent it all comes out on them.


In an effort to be more open, I am going to go out of my comfort zone to express some of the feelings that I keep bottled inside. You do not have to keep reading.  :o)

I have battled with depression every since I was about 16. It comes and goes. I am also a people-pleaser and because of that I feel a lot of guilt because of things I did, or did not do. I have been having a hard time with life ever since Asher was a few months old, battling with my emotional health, and feeling like I don't know who I am anymore. I know that a lot of mothers go through this, at least that's what I keep hearing. But it doesn't take away from the fact that it is miserable and lonely! I go back and forth quite a bit, feeling happy, then feeling hopeless. It is difficult on Josh, too. And there's the guilt again, feeling horrible for putting him through this. And through it all, I have a really hard time feeling like I have any faith anymore.  I find myself doing a lot of questioning of my beliefs. I feel conflicted between what I have been taught to feel and what I really do feel.

And I worry! Mostly about what this is doing to my marriage, and the example I am setting for Asher. I desperately want to change before Asher can learn from this terrible example. I do not want him to learn these tendencies and habits. And add to that another child. I feel bad that sometimes this pregnancy makes me feel trapped, like there's not hope for me to come out of this, especially after the life of having two children will set in.

After dealing with this for a year, Josh and I are finally realizing that we need to do something about it. We are taking steps to get me into therapy and to nurture our marriage a little more. It is difficult because when it's good, it's fine. But when it's bad, it's horrible, consuming to the point where I can't imagine it ever getting better and I just want to run away so that I do not drag Josh through this. There is so much more... but for those of you who are reading this, I'll stop now.

For those of you who do feel, or ever have felt, like this, I would say that you're not alone. And for those of you who think I'm nuts and don't understand what I am feeling at all, I admire you and hope that things will stay the same for you. If I can ask for your prayers... we would really appreciate it. The Terry family is finding itself in a difficult place right now. Hopefully, if we can exert enough faith, it will get better. It is just summoning that faith that is very difficult for me sometimes. I feel very alone most of the time. Anyway... I apologize that this is so depressing. I just thought it might be nice to get some of this out so that I do not have to pretend all the time. It's exhausting!

7 comments:

Sarah And John said...

I know how you feel. No one knows I have depression unless I tell them cuz I hide it WAY too well. Even from Johnny. Bad I know. lol. I hope things start looking up. Love you

Mark, Stef, and Grace said...

Amber, I just love you! I want you to be happy, and you deserve to be happy! I'm so proud of you for taking steps to make you feel better. Counseling is such a good thing. Why don't we get together more!? I don't want you to be lonely. I'm here for you. So let's play and be happy! =) I'll call you.

Mikey said...

Amber,
I haven't told many people this, but I struggle a lot with my faith lately, especially since I started working. Most of it centers around polygamy and how this seems so unbalanced and unfair. How can Goid love us equally when men seem to have so much more? When the actuality of polygamy would cause so much pain? Still, I look around and see other men and think that 10 of the best qualities of these men don't make up even one of John. Blah. I don't know when I'll have peace with this, so I just keep trudging on. I love you kiddo. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Mikey

Jessica said...

You are so brave to say all this, I admire you for you courage. I, myself have never had to suffer as you do with depression but I do know how it feels to feel tramped and battle my true feelings. It is so hard to figure out how to live, Do I bottle it up until one day it comes flooding out or do I focus on all my insecurities and deal with then now? I personally think that there needs to balance. Whenever I am expereincing a "melt down" I find it really theraputic to write everything down and them digard it, this way by the time I talk with someone I am more realistic as I have gotten rid of the emotional yuck.
Another thing I find helpful is to be busy and laugh. Laugh even when theres nothing to laugh about or even if its not funny because sooner or later you will be consumed with joy. And sing! I know you love to sing and you have been blessed with an amazing voice. Music is am amazing tool to heal the soul. get involved in community theatre or create a singing group, do something for you and I promise it will fill some of the emptyness that you might be feeling.
You are am amazing person and don't ever be ashamed of embarrased of your weaknesses. For our weaknesses are what will become our greatest strengths if only we invite the Lord to show us how to change.
There's a great book that might help you. It's called "the secret" by Rhonda Byrne, it has helped many people in my family change their perspective and feelings about themselves and the world around them.
Sorry for the essay! I think you can be everything you want to be:)I miss seeing your beautiful self every sunday.

CherryTerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CherryTerry said...

Dear sister Amber, I look up to you so much and I really mean that. You are a solid rock. I understand what you're saying about everything. I don't have a child, but I often--if at all--feel like I don't know what my purpose is, and I've struggled with depression since I was 16 too, tho most people know that :) It is really hard and I understand the thoughts of not wanting to bring someone else into that. It's difficult being a people pleaser--I want to be there for everyone and everything they need me or what I think they want me to be--the friend, the shoulder to lean on.... And a lot of times we want to hold those thoughts and feelings in, like you said. And doubting the faith... Yeah, I understand. I've been going through strong opposition, confusion, doubts and all these things for a couple of years. It's interesting tho, because i think there are times when I can feel and know something is still right and true, but then I encounter something else and wonder, "but how can this be?" I'm SOO very thankful for ALL of my sisters, because I feel we can share these true honest feelings together and we do. How grateful I am for you guys because we all share similar feelings, thoughts, doubts, insecurities, etc, just with our own personal experiences that make them come to be, if that makes sense. I wish I wasn't such a guilt prown person :) Anyway, I truly appreciate all of my sisters' openness and honesty--you all strengthen me this way, because in the sharing and telling with one another, I feel like I can make it through another day, another trial, you know? And I truly feel that you are a strong person in so many ways. I believe voicing these things show real strength--you're making yourself vulnerable by putting yourself out there. You know? anyway, I will pray for you guys. I love you. Please feel free to write. Take care.

Rachel said...

Hi Amber- it's Rachel White Pierce- from One to One. Beautiful family! Just wanted to comment on this post. This is all too real for me as well... you definitely are not alone. I'm proud of you for talking/writing about it, for taking steps to get into therapy (which should be SO good for you), and for being honest with yourself. In dealing with post-partum depression these are all things that were really important for me. Also, the physical things like SLEEP, exercise, and taking time for yourself (which is hard, but necessary)! Keep us all posted. You're doing yourself and others a favor by expressing yourself and dealing with this publicly! If you ever need to talk I'm always here! rachelwhitepierce(at)gmail(dot)com