24 November 2008

Self Reflection

An event from last week has forced me into self- reflection. This event was hurtful and made me realize that I still have a long way to go. But as I think about it, and try not to think about it, I am ashamed to say that I find myself wanting to show that I am hurt around this person so that there is no way that they do not know how much they hurt my feelings. This feeling probably stems from a lifetime of learning to play the victim. I have had to fight myself to not act this way. This experience has been a big reminder to me of how "young [I] am spiritually", to put it in the words of Elder Maxwell. But I am grateful for these reminders because it shows how much my Heavenly Father loves me. I recently heard it said that we should not get upset when people point out our faults because it means that they have not given up on us yet. Isn't that true of Father? He will never give up on us, how comforting that is. It is so difficult for me to punish Asher when trying to teach him obedience. I cannot imagine the hurt it causes Father to have to gently, and sometimes not so gently, remind us of our weaknesses. But as we read in Ether 12, He "gives" us our weaknesses, just like he gives us blessings. They are for a specific purpose, and I take comfort in that as well. Can you imagine life if we were not reminded of our shortcomings? We would have no desire to be better. What a generous and loving Father. So at this Thanksgiving time, I am grateful for reminders of our weaknesses and for the infinite love from our Father!!

6 comments:

CherryTerry said...

Love you Amber <3

It's Not Perfect said...

Good timing for me too sweety - thank you for words that I needed. I too am trying not to play the "mind" games and not guilt someone into feeling bad that they hurt me, even though it hurts terribly.
Ok which Elder Maxwell book do you have, looks like I need to go buy it.
Love you

Jessica said...

Amen. It is so true we have so many weaknesses but also you have many strengths. You always give wonderful comments in Relief Society that strengthen me and help me grow. Plus I think when we do share our weaknesses with eachother it strengthens us, weaknesses make you real and therefore you become accessable to those around you. I think you are wonderful in so many ways!!

Mark, Stef, and Grace said...

Amber, I'm glad you're feeling better about this and able to see how you can learn from it. Sorry I didn't really help you along by calling him a jerky jerk face =)

FireMedicMom said...

You rock :) It's hard to forgive...take it from the best grudge holder of them all :)

Mikey said...

Amber,
It's hard for me to imagine anyone hurting you willingly. You are so sweet and loving yourself, it hurts my heart to know you have experienced such pain. I am so impressed with your attitude about it, you don't seem spiritually young to me at all, especially when I see you with Asher. What a beautiful child he is. I love you all so much! Love Mikey