22 May 2008

What is the deal?

I don't know how many of you watched American Idol on Wednesday night. Because I had class, I taped it and watched it yesterday. I could not believe when Ryan Seacrest said they had over 97 1/2 MILLION votes the night before! Personally, I feel that this is getting a little out of hand.

It made me reflect on how much I know about what is going on in the world around me. Most Americans have no idea what is going on with the presidential campaign and world news, but we all know who won American Idol. I realized how guilty I am of this also. I don't know a lot about what is going on around the world. I hear things in passing, or as I'm flipping through the channels and just happen to land on the news station. It is sad!

When we were in Disneyland I was nursing Asher in the nursing station and I couldn't help but listen to the conversation of the two women working there. They were talking about a Nicole who was having a baby. I just assumed they were talking about someone they worked with, the way they were so casual about it. It wasn't until they started talking about Angelina being pregnant also, that I realized they were talking about celebrities. The way they just through around their first names like they new them personally was so funny to me. I have been thinking about how easy it is to become wrapped up in the lives of celebrities, or the latest tv show. This realization has made me want to commit myself to becoming more involved in better things. I can do so much better with the way I use my time!

2 comments:

Nate + Carlee said...

I totally agree with you! We don't have a TV for that exact reason. There are so many other things that are better to devote our time to. Unfortunately, we do have the internet and I am guilty of indulging in frivolous things as well...like blogging. =) And seriously, what is up with people talking about celebrities like they know them? I thinks it's so hilarious.

Jon and Shiloh said...

Ahhhh, well said Amber. I agree 100%!! BTW-I want to see some more cakes :)