04 February 2010

Sick babies and Gratitude

I have been a little out of blogging for a couple weeks because both of my kids have been sick. And I mean SICK! Last week Asher started out with a cough and progressively got worse. His fever started to go up on Saturday so I took him to an after hours clinic. His temperature was 103.5 and he had ear infections in both ears. We got antibiotics and he has progressively gotten better. It broke my heart seeing him just sitting listlessly and barely able to hold his eyes open. He hardly ate a thing for three days.

Then Carolina started in on Sunday. She had a lot of the same symptoms but didn't have much of a fever. Her nose was running like a faucet. I have never seen anything like it. She would sneeze and snot would come dripping out and before I could wipe it off she'd rub her nose and spread it all over her face and hair. At first I thought it might just be teething, but then yesterday she started to get a fever. I took her in last night and she turned out to have a double ear infection as well. Her and Asher are now on the same antibiotic. For any of you who know Lena, you know how happy and fun she is. I don't think she's smiled in four days. That is NOT like her!

It is terrible to see your kids sick. Lena hasn't really been sick yet until now, but this was the most sick Asher has ever been. It is so hard to feel like you have no control and can't help them to feel better. Anyway, hopefully they will both continue to get better and get back to their usually selves.

As I was waiting for Lena's prescription last night, I talked with a couple other women in the waiting area. One had two children and the other had a little boy.
Her little boy is 2 and she just turned 19. And the other was saying that a year ago she lost two babies within 11 months of each other. The one with the little boy had a lip piercing and the other woman's little girl said something about it. That got the two women talking about their piercings and tattoos. They talked about living with their parents. I don't think either of them were married.

Don't get me wrong, they were very nice! They talked to me and asked questions about my children. And I am not judging them. I have multiple piercings (3 in each ear), and many of you might be surprised to know that I have 2 tattoos as well. (Especially Josh's family because I don't think any of you know about those.) I hope this doesn't change any of your opinions about me. :o) I used to be slightly rebellious. :o) But as I sat and listened to them talk about their current situations, I felt so grateful for the knowledge that I have. I know the value of family. I have a wonderful husband and beautiful children and we are sealed for time and all eternity. I have the opportunity to be with them forever because of the covenants I have made! I am so grateful to know of Heavenly Father's plan for His children. I still have MANY things to work on and will throughout this life. But I have knowledge and testimony of the gift of the Atonement to help me. I am grateful for situations like this that help me to surface from my complacence and realize everything that I am blessed with and Heavenly Father's love for me!

6 comments:

Ashley Arnold said...

I'm SO sorry your little ones have been sick. Wonderful post - thanks so much for sharing. LOVE YOU!

Heather said...

It might take me a while, but I'll get over the tattoos...eventually! ;) Sick kids are THE WORST! I'm so sorry. :(

Reba said...

You better know we would love you no matter what! I am curious though... where are your tattoos? ha

FireMedicMom said...

ha ha ha ha....I knew....and I love you!

Jason and Bri said...

Hey Amber its Bri, so this is our blog briandjasonphillips.blogspot.com but its set private so u need to email me for me to add u so u can see it my email is heartg1@aol.com. Thanks.

Stephanie said...

It was so fun to see you after so many years!! And you look as beautiful as ever :)
I found your blog through Chels's and hope you don't mind me peeking. You're great and I'm so sorry your kiddos were sick...I don't have any, but can't imagine that being any fun.