15 July 2009

Cake!



I decided to start making cakes for every event coming up so that I can start getting practice. This is one I made for our 4th of July celebrations.

In my experimenting, I realized that using the type of frosting I was trying to use was not going to work. It was way too soft, hence the bumpiness. Because it was getting to be so late, and us needing to get to my parents' house, I just started throwing decorations on. So, don't look too closely. :o) But it was intended to be a learning experience, and that's what it was.


This cake I made for my baby shower last Saturday. It was a little bit more of a success, although it definitely could use some improvement. It's great because each cake I do I realize more things I can be doing differently and better.




As stressful as it is, trying to finish the cakes on time and get them right, it is fun and I really enjoy doing it. It makes me happy and is quickly becoming a passion.

7 comments:

Naomi said...

Wow! Those look great!

Call Commotion said...

Where did you learn how to do cakes? If you tell me you taught yourself I wouldn't be surprised...you are amazing!

Kiersten said...

You are amazing! They are beautiful. I would love to learn to do that.

Reba said...

Amber you are so talented! I am so impressed with these cakes... along with the wedding one on a previous post. WOW! AWESOME! Thanks for sharing these!

Me said...

You are so talented. I think that if you wanted to, you could do this for a living. I would certainly pay you. I read the blog cakewrecks.blogspot.com because it's hilarious, but they have a section called "Sunday Sweets" with the really good cakes, and if you're just beginning now, you are for sure going to be up there with the best when you're a professional. It's awesome when you can find something that you're passionate about. Go for it!

FireMedicMom said...

Yay, Amber! Those look so great!!!

Anonymous said...

Amber!!!! They look awesome! I'm so excited for you to have found such an amazing talent. Now you will have to learn how to do gluten free cakes and i'll hire you all the time!